Blog Archive

Thursday 3 August 2017

Rule Britannia?




Twice in the last week I have been rendered speechless; ‘jaw upon chest’ in incredulous speechlessness. My close friends would tell you that in the last few decades that sort of thing has never, ever happened to me; in fact, they probably relished a few minutes of silence on my part, given what has happened in the last year and how I feel about it. 😒
I wish I had never seen those news articles; or else they had been on a satirical news website. I checked … and checked again; but no satire; no ‘fake’ news as far as I could ascertain; it was – a rare word these days – REAL.
To coin a British phrase I was, even understanding the UK’s xenophobia though I do not like it, gobsmacked. Well and truly. Even members of Monty Python slapping me round the face with a freshly-caught wet fish would not have stunned me so much. Gobsmacked and incredulous; struck ‘dumb’; silent except for a coughing, choking noise and pointing at my computer screen in the fashion Donald Sutherland did at humans in the 70s version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Except that I did not ‘screech’ until I had got over the initial ‘stun’ of the headlines I had just seen. Donny got ‘one up on me’ in that respect.
First it was ‘’concertgoers at the Royal Albert Hall were ordered to put away their EU flags’’ (https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/the-proms-embroiled-in-brexit-row-as-concertgoers-eu-flags-are-banned-a3601136.html - retrieved 03/08/2017).  ‘Ordered’, ‘banned’? Has ‘Dictator Mayhem’ and the insecure factions of THAT political party gone so far as to declare a simple blue & yellow motif a ‘threat’? ‘Fascism’ is dead in the EU… long live UK censorship of ‘anti-UK-government symbols’. Conform, because ‘Big Brother’ is watching you! His name is not the EU nor the BBC (although I am certain that some will find a way to apportion blame to one or the other; or both).

I was about to ‘climb off my soapbox’ – for what it was worth, because I was too stunned to actually speak – when the next ‘bombshell’… no, …. ‘incendiary’ hit.
‘’ Theresa May sings God Save The Queen in Italian hotel bar’’ (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-40788672 - retrieved 03/08/2017). I cannot describe how I felt when I saw that; there are no words…

She WAS a ‘remainer’. If it were not bad enough that she U-turned in order to gain power; if it were not bad enough that she tried, illegally, to push ‘Brexit’ through without parliamentary consent; if it were not bad enough that she signed a letter ‘allegedly’ invoking ‘Article 50’. She does THIS?
Not only does she holiday outside insular England…. (and yes, that IS deliberate on my part because Scotland and Northern Ireland did NOT want to leave the EU; and, let’s face it, who gives a s**t about Wales? England and the UK government certainly don’t! ;-) )…. but she visits a European Union country and ‘rebel rouses’ whilst she is there? It beggars belief.
My grandfather (and yes, I am that old) was dropped behind ‘enemy lines’ in the Netherlands and risked his life for the UK .... so that we could actually become as imperialistic and selfish as some European countries already perceive us?



UK Government, get a bl**dy grip, please!…. the UK is already ‘going to the dogs’ economically since ‘the referendum’; xenophobia has become ‘the norm’ and a Polish gentleman was killed; the ‘great reform bill 2017’, to anyone with a thinking mind, has just given ‘carte blanche’ for UK citizens and workers to be exploited. Forget ‘Good morning Britain’; wake up Britain! Don’t allow your basic rights to be taken away from you because of a mis-guided, ‘Murdochoid’ hatred for the EU. Don’t let a power-hungry ‘vulture’ dictate what you think; she ‘turn-coated’ VERY quickly when it suited her. How do you know that she will not turn against YOU next?

Sarah is not usually this outspoken and blunt, but recently she has been ‘bl**dy annoyed’. 😎 She is a member of Campaign for Europe and several other pro-active, pro-EU groups. Sarah is never a 'rebel without a cause' but certainly rises to a 'rebellious' challenge when there is a cause.





No comments:

Post a Comment